What to Bring to an Adoption or Reclaim

To make completing your adoption or reclaiming a lost easy for you, we’ve created a “what to bring” list to help you prepare for your upcoming visit to our facility.


For everyone’s safety, all adopted or reclaimed animals leaving the RHS must be in a suitable carrier or be leashed.  Please bring the appropriate restraint for your pet when taking them home.  If you do not have one, inexpensive carriers and leashes are available for purchase at the shelter.


To adopt or reclaim an animal from the Regina Humane Society, you will need supporting documents that provide your:

  • Birth Date
  • Full Legal Name
  • Photo; AND
  • Proof of address of current residence

If you have an eligible, government-issued piece of identification that satisfies the above requirements, you only require one piece of ID. Your identification all has to be in the same name, but it doesn’t all have to have the above requirements. As long as together all eligible pieces of identification provide the information listed above, you’ll meet the requirement. For example, if you have 1 piece of identification that proves your legal name and birth date, and another that proves your address and identity, you’ll meet the requirement.

If you have an eligible, government-issued piece of photo identification that fulfills the birth date, full legal name, photo and proof of the address of current residence requirements, you only require one piece of ID. If multiple forms of ID are used, they must all be in the same name.

Photo Identification

You will need to bring one piece of government-issued, photo identification with you.  Your photo identification must be valid, original and in good condition.

The eligible piece of photo identification must:

  • Contain a photo; AND
  • Be issued by a government agency, including a federal government, (for example, Canada, the United States or other foreign government) or by a province/territory/state level government.
List of Eligible Photo Identification:
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
  • Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada
  • Driver’s License
  • Firearms Licence
  • Government Issued ID Card or Document
  • Immigration Canada Documents
  • NEXUS Card
  • Valid Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Provincial or territorial health insurance card

If you cannot provide an eligible piece of photo identification, you may provide two eligible pieces of identification from the lists below.

Both can be from List A – Primary Identification; or one piece can be from List A – Primary Identification and the other piece from List B – Secondary Identification.

List A – Primary Identification
  • Birth certificate issued in Canada
  • Immigration Canada Documents
  • Old Age Security Card issued by the Government of Canada
  • Provincial or territorial health insurance card
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) card issued by the Government of Canada
List B – Secondary Identification
  • Bank card or ATM card issued by a Canadian financial institution that has your name embossed and contains your signature
  • Credit card issued by a Canadian financial institution that has your name embossed and contains your signature
  • Canadian National Institute for the Blind card with your photograph, name and signature
  • Employee Identification Card with your photograph and name
  • Tax Information
Proof of Address

If you cannot provide an eligible piece(s) of identification that provides your current residence address, you may provide two documents from the lists below.

  • Utility bill – telephone, power, energy, water, internet, cable or alarm service (no cellphone bills)
  • Financial document– bank or credit card statement, canceled cheque, or letter on official bank letterhead
  • Declaration of guarantor for proof of residency
  • Mortgage document – including Property Tax Assessment, land title or insurance policy
  • Residential lease/rental agreement
  • Personal income tax document – including Notice of Assessment, child benefit, GST statement or T4
  • Employment confirmation – employment pay stub or confirmation of employment letter
  • Social assistance benefit confirmation – Worker’s Compensation, disability payment, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Social Assistance benefit confirmation, or Employment Insurance benefit statement

Acting on Behalf of an Individual

When obtaining custody of an animal on behalf of the known or registered owner, the representative must present personal identification as well as provide additional proof of such authority, namely, legal documentation, or written and/or verbal consent demonstrating that the individual is authorized to act on the owner’s behalf.

If owner fees and/or fines apply to a reclaim the person acting on behalf of the individual must either:

  • Pay the fees and/or fines themselves
  • Provide proof of required identification for the owner. Photocopies, faxes or pictures are sufficient as long as the appropriate information is provided for the required fees and/or fines.

Acting on behalf of a deceased person

If the individual is acting on behalf of a deceased person, in addition to personal identification, the individual will need one of the following documents:

  • A death certificate (issued by the applicable government Vital Statistics office)

Proof of Ownership

In some situations, you may be asked to provide proof of ownership when reclaiming an animal. Proof of ownership may include recent, date-stamped pictures, recent veterinary bills, bills of sale, etc.