Whether you are reinforcing your class visit to the Regina Humane Society (RHS) or creating your own lesson, the RHS has some fantastic resources for you! From resource kits to teacher manuals, we are sure to have something fun and educational that will help you foster kindness in the classroom.
Regina Humane Society resource kits are a great way to introduce students to the concepts of kindness for animals, responsible pet care, dog bite prevention, and many other topics. The following kits are available:
Animal Shelter Dramatic Play Kit
Pre-K – Grade 1
Do you have a dramatic play area in your classroom? Consider creating an animal shelter in your classroom and encourage students to make adoption their first option! This kit includes:
- Animal Shelter Dramatic Play Kit & Service Learning Project Guide
- Shelter signs, adoption paperwork & adoption agreement
- Six stuffed shelter pets
- Six kennels
- Felt pet food & treats
- Dishes, pet licenses, ID tags & more!
The Kindness Kit
Kindergarten – Grade 6
The Kindness Kit has everything you need to make empathy and compassion an important part of your classroom! This kit includes:
- “Kids Who Care” Elementary Humane Education Manual
- Critters with Character Lesson Plans
- “We Love Pets” Bulletin Board Display
- Character Building Posters
- Ready to Copy Activity Sheets
- Animal-themed Story Books
- Mini Pet Suitcase
- … and much more!
Be Dog Smart Kit
Kindergarten – Grade 6
The Be Dog Smart kit contains everything you need to teach your students how to interact confidently and safely with dogs. This kit includes:
- A series of three printed lesson plans to help teach your students responsible pet care, safety around dogs, and dog body language
- Large 11 x 17 inch display boards for each lesson
- One stuffed Be Dog Smart mascot dog to keep in your classroom
- Full color Be Dog Smart information sheets for each student
- One give away item for each student to take home
All resource kits are available on a first come, first served basis for periods of one, two, or three weeks. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to book a kit.
“Kids Who Care” Elementary Humane Education Manual
Find all the resources you need to teach lessons on pet overpopulation, responsible pet ownership, and much more in our “Kids Who Care” education manual. This manual includes ready to copy activities, games, and other lesson materials. Email email@example.com for more information.
Humane Teacher Newsletter
Looking for other ways to bring Humane Education into the classroom? Sign up for the RHS’ newsletter “Humane Teacher” to receive innovative lesson plan ideas focusing on the values of Humane Education right to your email inbox four times a year. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Operation Happy Sock
Operation Happy Sock is a volunteer project that takes unwanted socks and turns them into fun toys for Shelter cats and dogs. It’s perfect for any group that loves animals and wants to do something special to help them. It’s easy, fun, and a great service project for students. Email email@example.com for more information.