To comply with the intent and requirements of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada)(PIPEDA).
All operations and all levels of the Society.
With full implementation effective January 1, 2004, PIPEDA covers the collection, use or disclosure of personal information in the course of any commercial activity. Commercial activity has broad application including charitable uses. Compliance must at a minimum, meet the ten (10) fair information principles set out in PIPEDA.
The following policy will be available on the Society’s website or at the request of any person who inquires:
- Collection and use of personal Information:
- To make a donation, adopt a pet, become a volunteer and/or member, the Regina Humane Society (the Society) collects personal information, which is necessary to process the transaction, identify you and/or facilitate your involvement with the Society.
- This personal information is maintained in a private database secured in the Society’s offices. Access to this database is limited to those employees, representatives or volunteers of the Society who have a need to know the information for a legitimate business purpose.
- In any request by the Society for information, you will be asked to indicate if you do not want the Society to contact you for the purposes of providing information to you about the Society’s activities, current animal issues and care, and other topics that the Society thinks would be of interest to you.
- If you opt not to be contacted by the Society, your opt-out will be recorded, and any new uses of your personal information will require your further consent.
- Disclosure of personal information:
- For animal-specific information, the Society may share your personal information with registered veterinarians who require that information to care for the animal.
- We occasionally use carefully selected and approved mail services to help us save money and facilitate distributing materials. Your personal information may be temporarily shared with those contracted service providers, but they may only use that information for the purpose of providing the service they have been contracted to provide, and are not permitted to store, share, exchange, or sell that information.
- Membership lists may be distributed as required under Saskatchewan Non-Profit Corporation Act requirements.
- The Society will not share information with other third-parties without your consent unless compelled to do so by law, under a court order, or by government authority.
- The Society may aggregate information for statistical purposes, but if aggregated, this information will be de-identified so as not to contain any information that would identify you or be used to contact you.
- Accessing your information or making an inquiry or complaint:
- You can request that your information be reviewed and/or updated by you, subject to proper identification. A request can be made by contacting the Society’s Privacy Officer at 543-6363 Ext. 222.
- If you have a complaint or inquiry about our policy or regarding the handling of your personal information by the Society, the Society’s Privacy Officer is authorized to investigate your complaint or address your inquiry.